c'est moi.

c'est moi.
ddd

inspiration

Come sit down beside me with a dollar and a dime, we'll drink away our fortunes, here's to the meantime. -Grace Potter
ddd
ddd


ddd

cheers!

cheers!
ddd
.

followers.

tweet me!

find me.

tumblr.

.

12.22.2011

time away.

Why is it that distance makes the heart grow fonder? Why does it take having a void where something once was to recognize the importance of what filled it before? Why do we struggle to appreciate people while they are actually present?

On Tuesday, I returned from spending 6 days in Virginia; away from my job, my home, and my relationships. It was an opportunity to be near my mother, a new exciting location, and the freedom from my usual responsibilities. I very much enjoyed my time away, but I was ready to board my flight home when the time came. Was I ready because I wanted to go back to working 50+ hours a week? Was I ready because I wanted to get back to cleaning my house, doing laundry, and my other usual household tasks? Was I ready to get back to my jam packed schedule? Could it be that I was actually missing my typical and crazy daily routine? Actually...it was.

When it all comes down to it, it was the most basic of things I was ready to get back to. My usual diet. My running routine. My great big comfy bed. My kitchen. My bedtime. My significant relationships. The craziest part about having temporary space is recognizing that it's the simple things that tend to fill us up.

Time away teaches us to (re)appreciate our daily routine. When we are stuck in my same old rhythm for days on end, we grow bored and annoyed with the trials and tribulations of everyday life. But when our routine is broken, it is then we become acquainted with what's really valuable to us. We have that sense of "missing" and "void."

Don't let it take time away to appreciate the life you have. Don't require separation to realize what wonderful relationships and friendships you hold. We are all guilty of falling into routines and habits that blind us to how good we have it. Make it a habit to ponder what life would be like without all the things that fill our lives today. Force yourself to express gratitude towards both the good and the bad in life. The good is what makes our lives rewarding. The bad is what makes us stronger. And it's the people that stick by us through both that are what make our lives meaningful. Say thank you, appreciate the little things, and go through your day with the knowledge that it doesn't have to take time away to recognize how blessed we truly are.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

These thoughts are very profound and heartfelt. Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.